It can be hard to stay up to date with the latest trends in the ever-changing social media landscape. With the Trendjackers Monthly Social Digest, we aim to roundup the latest social media developments in to one bitesized chunk month on month.
- Facebooks launches new teens-only platform Lifestage which aims to appeal primary to a millennial demographic. The newly launched app is age-restricted and allows teens to share emojis & video content in a way fashion to Snapchat. Lifestage is the brainchild of Facebook Product Manager Michael Sayman, who is just 19 years old https://techcrunch.com/2016/08/19/facebook-lifestage/
- Facebook makes it easier for brands to cross-post videos produced by publishers without having to re-upload the video to Facebook themselves. This move works in the favour of content producers and aims to cut down on pages that plagiarize copyright content. This feature will also work to save time for large content producers such as RT who may wish to share the same video over their portfolio of media brands (Ruptly, RT US, RT UK etc) https://media.fb.com/2016/09/08/announcing-new-features-for-crossposting-video/
- When I found out these 5 ways Facebook is cutting down on the amount of click-bait article titles on the network… I was shocked! Facebook tweeks EdgeRank algorithm to show less content deemed to be ‘clickbait’ http://newsroom.fb.com/news/2016/08/news-feed-fyi-further-reducing-clickbait-in-feed/
- Mark Zuckerberg faces allegations of censorship in Q&A session by content producers who suddenly found their pages deleted deleted despite not breaking Facebook terms & conditions.
What makes up the process of reporting and unpublishing a page? I see that a lot of my favorite sources of entertainment are being permanently unpublished – but the reasons given are clearly not violating community standards. Is an accidental image filter triggering the deletation process of huge pages? What’s the deal Mark? See more
Facebooks algorithm for archiving threads with multiple comments is by default set to show “Top Comments” by number of likes / engagement level.“Leave your comments below or like your favourites and I’ll respond to as many as I can.” Claimed Zuckerberg but as of yet, despite being ranked the top question with just under 2000 likes, the question remains ignored.
- Instagram launches the (totally unique) Instagram Stories. Content marketing institute calls it ‘Snapchat for old people’ http://contentmarketinginstitute.com/2016/08/instagram-launches-snapchat/ http://blog.business.instagram.com/post/148349029221/instagram-stories
- Instagram also launches new pinch to zoom feature for iOS allowing users to get closer up to the action on the network http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/31/12729362/instagram-new-update-pinch-to-zoom-photos-videos-ios
- Instagram hits 1million Android app installs http://mashable.com/2016/08/22/instagram-billion-app-installs/#gvkzC.2aNqqJ
- New monetization feature added for US content producers as Twitter becomes keen to focus on overall video strategy https://blog.twitter.com/2016/twitter-monetization-now-at-your-fingertips
- Twitter ads new quality filter & notification blocking functionality as way to give users more control about what they see. https://blog.twitter.com/2016/new-ways-to-control-your-experience-on-twitter
- Twitter adds read receipts to DM’s – thousands find out they’ve been ignored.
- Twitter launches new Conversational Ads which use instant unlock cards to allow advertisers to encourage users to tweet or take specific action in order to unlock exclusive pieces of branded content https://blog.twitter.com/2016/drive-brand-conversation-with-the-new-instant-unlock-card
- New changes to Twitter allow users to use emoji’s in their name & bio
- LinkedIn launches new feature which puts videos of influences directly in the news feed giving their perspective on a range of business related issues https://blog.linkedin.com/2016/08/02/your-linkedin-feed-is-coming-to-life-with-videos-from-linkedin-i
- New features allow users to search for professional industry specific content with LinkedIn’s content search https://blog.linkedin.com/2016/08/25/tap-into-professional-knowledge-with-content-search-at-linkedin
- Tumblr launches ad platform which shares revenue with bloggers as part of the Creatrs scheme which will be available to “any eligible Tumblr— brand, poet, musician, fan, artist, and misfit weirdo memelord alike,” https://staff.tumblr.com/post/148012671115/money
- Pinterest launches new ads network featuring targeted ads, engagement retargeting and visitor lookalike audiences. https://ads.pinterest.com/
To receive the social media digest to your inbox every month containing my exclusive social media tips, subscribe now or follow us on Medium.